The main town of the same name, is a small town situated on the top of the hill, dominated by the Castle of the Gherardesca, once surrounded by walls of which survives the front facing the sea and with the church of San Lorenzo, is the original core of the village. Around the Castle which was probably built in the year one thousand, has developed the city center in a pattern of concentric rings that create a system of roads, streets and squares. The castle had, in its long history, numerous modifications and reconstructions later, as the parish church, long used as a church of the castle as it sees examination of the internal structures. In front of the rectory of St. Lawrence, is the Church of the Holy Crucifix in which is stored the wooden crucifix dating from quattocentesca, found among the ruins of the ancient monastery of St. Columba and the subject of lively local cult, represented by the "Feste Triennial" The current town hall, which became the Town Hall in 1849 as part of the complex history of preselle, had worked, from 1716 to praetorian palace, in the square behind the pillory Square, took place the cries of condemnation and execution of infamous punishment in the pillory and the sedan. Of particular interest Gherardesca Castle (Independence Street), Rectory of St. Lawrence, Church of SS Crucifix, Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (recently declared the seat of setting up the Museum of vestments), Centro Carducci (Via Carducci, 59), Museum Archives, Piazzale Belvedere
Bolgheri know that it was the center of a vast territory called "Sala ducis Allonis", and then later became the ducal heritage properties Gherardesca. The subject of numerous raids and attacks in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, had its unfortunate moment of glory in 1496 when, after a heroic defense, he had to succumb to the overwhelming forces of Emperor Maximilian I. On that occasion Bolgheri was sacked and burned, while the population who had taken refuge in the church - old men, women and children - were murdered. In the first half of the sixteenth century it was rebuilt and despite the numerous reconstructions later, the castle and the town, which is accessed from the only arched door, did not lose anything of what was to be their original charm. Time seems to have stopped here the passing of the seasons is still marked by the changing colors of the fields and hills all around. Much of the reputation of Bolgheri is due to Carducci's poem "Before San Guido", the famous "Cypress Avenue", which is considered a national monument, along with the monumental cemetery where he was buried Nonna Lucia.
Marina di Donoratico
It is located close to a coastal pine forest planted in the first half of the last century to defend the rear country from sea winds. Has developed around the fifties close to a century Fort, built by the government lorenense to integrate and improve the defensive line along the Tuscan coast. Marina di Castagneto is one of the most famous and popular of the Etruscan Coast, with accommodation and entertainment, which includes one of the largest amusement parks in Tuscany: the Cavallino Matto. The wide sandy beach is equipped with numerous beaches, while to the south and to the north of the resort, miles of beach, cleaned daily, still offer the spectacle of flowering of sea lilies and other pioneer plants. The Municipality of Castagneto, because of the quality of the environment, its protection and for the services offered to citizens and users summer, he got and get major awards such as, for example, assigning the "Blue Flag" and the recognition of Lega Ambiente "Eco system holidays."